My professional career in the mental/behavioral health field began in 2005. It has been a rewarding experience that continues to expand my interest and competencies. I have had the honor to meet and work with many varied individuals through a variety of professional settings.
* My passions consist of helping victims/survivors of human trafficking, individuals struggling with ADHD/ADD, anxiety, depression, trauma, PTSD, parent-child conflict, abused/neglected youth, family therapy, pre-marriage/marriage therapy, couples therapy.
These ventures include:
- residential treatment facilities as a Mental Health Assistant (ages 5-50), and Licensed Therapist (ages 7-21) providing individual therapy, family therapy, and group therapy for trafficked, abused, neglected, traumatized youth
- a Group Therapist in a day treatment program for at-risk, inner-city youth
- Residential Group Home Manager for adults with cognitive and developmental disabilities
- an Assistant Site Supervisor in an aftercare program for elementary and middle school youth
- a Lead Direct Support Professional (DSP) for individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities
- an Intensive Outpatient (IOP) Mental Health Professional (ages 12-16
- In-Home Counselor, Certified Behavioral Assistant, Parent Mentor, Licensed Clinician, Licensed Therapist for at-risk, trafficked youth, and other abused, neglected, traumatized youth in client homes/in community, in therapeutic treatment homes, and in a residential treatment center
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in a group practice for individual counseling, family counseling, group therapy, varieties of educational classes, cooperative parenting and divorce classes
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in a methadone clinic providing individual counseling for assigned clients undergoing treatment of substance abuse with methadone.
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)/Director in a private practice providing individual counseling, family counseling, couples counseling, pre-marriage/marriage counseling, support group. I do take private pay with sliding scale options if needed, EAP (Employment Assistance Program) through ESI, CuraLinc, HealthAdvocate, I accept Cigna, United, Optum insurances; in process for ComPsych for EAP/insurance/critical response crisis intervention as well as Magellan EAP & insurance.
The built therapeutic rapport is an essential part of the client’s journey towards living a meaningful and positive life that brings trust and growth through a safe space to do so. A main aspect of this coming together is my focus on each client’s strengths, genuine care, emotional validation, non-judgment, passion to help, dedication, and mutual respect.
I use a blend of approaches that fit each client for an individualized experience. The main ones consist of:
- Person-Centered where the therapist is open/straightforward and the therapist and client share ideas and feedback
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has focused on the influence of self-talk and belief systems
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is help with depression/chronic unhappiness and dysfunctional thinking that combines CBT with mindfulness
- Strengths-Based Styles where the therapist makes the client’s strengths the focus and highlights them for motivation to help with client have positive thoughts/feelings and behaviors
- Nurtured Heart Approach combines strengths-based and mindfulness
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy where the therapist and client work collaboratively on a reachable solution for change
- Motivational Interviewing helps the client resolve ambivalent feelings and insecurities to find the internal motivation he/she needs to change his/her behavior. It is a practical, empathetic, and short-term process that takes into consideration how difficult it is to make life changes.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy promotes change in behavioral patterns associated with self-harm, substance abuse, mood disorders, etc. by providing individuals new skills to manage painful emotions and decrease conflict in relationships
- Reality Testing Therapy focuses on the consequences of one’s choices and actions while working with the therapist to set goals for the client’s ideal life
- Imago Relationship/Couples Therapy dialogue skills/practice for couples, family members, and committed relationships
Licensed Professional Counselor in Colorado
License #: LPC.0014958
Curry College-BA double majored in psychology & English
California Southern University-MA in Psychology w/a Marriage & Family Therapy Emphasis~Magna Cum Laude
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Colorado Counseling Association (CCA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)